12.12.2013

color me crazy. coloring inside the lines.

got a package tonight that had some copics in it - an early christmas present to myself. it took me all of five minutes to print a copic color chart and start coloring.

i already had a few: 100, e00, and e37. i picked them up a while back at m's w/ a coupon. here's the thing, though, i never actually used them. i mean, i've outlined some things w/ them - i use them for mixed media, but i've never actually colored...




so much for coloring inside the lines, right? lol...

i was merely trying to get a basic idea of the colors and how they're arranged. my initial thoughts?

definitely not what i expected... looking at some of the crazy-intricate detail people color, i was thinking the nibs would be finer or harder - one or the other. it looks like i'm going to have to work on learning some control. 

i also expected the colors to go lighter to darker/top to bottom - it didn't really work out that way. my understanding is because the copic color system isn't entirely based on how light or dark a color is. the letters describe the color family. the first number is the saturation number. the second number indicates the brightness (from: demystifying the copic color system). apparently, it's not quite as simple as roy g biv, is it?

so, since i've already managed to take the time to look at them all... now, i have to find something that i can actually color. a while back, i found this site - some odd girl. i'm thinkin' i might need to buy me a few digital stamps to practice. maybe, i'll do that tomorrow. 

do you color? do you know of any good tutorials? leave me a comment and let me know. i'm anxious to learn everything i can...

in the meantime, have a great week!



11 comments:

  1. You have a good starter collection ! Just look at tutorial on YouTube to learn few trick. My best advice is to practice. And don't be afraid to not coloring some part of the stamp. I still am sometimes... Follow Copic on FB or Twitter, they have amazing samples of coloring. AND HAVE FUN ! I'm still in the learning process myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just started coloring with Copics this year. I began by taking a class at my not so local LSS, As Valerie said lots of great tutorials on YouTube. Images all over the place, many, many free. Be sure you have the right paper, that helps with staying in the line, they don't bleed as much. Use a light hand, and because they bleed don't go quite to the line with the marker let it bleed toward the line. Darker colors are harder to control than lighter ones. Have fun! I have a class tomorrow, the last one in my series :-(. I hope they will offer another set of classes, I sure enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maribeth - thanks! i did end up buying paper. i was in such a hurry that i initially forgot, but then placed another order for just a pack of paper. lol...

      Delete
  3. I have no pointers, but am curious to see how you progress. Maybe it'll launch me into trying them as I've always been a fan of coloring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at other people's coloring, but I haven't tried it myself. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to color but admit it's been awhile, my husband looks at all my copics and asks me how many more before I have them all..I probably have more than I need but they are a bit addicting once you get into coloring. BTW you can use them in combo with other coloring elements like pencils, etc. stretches your markers all the much further. Enjoy your new goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not start with free digis to colour? It'll go a lot better if it didn't cost you anything to get your image because you're not worried about "getting it right" to make the purchase worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aeryn - can you reprint digi stamps once you've purchased them - I mean, are you purchasing the image file to print repeatedly or are you purchasing the image itself to print once?

      Delete
    2. Yes cristi you can reprint and re-size.

      Delete
  7. when my girls graduate and I don't have them around to take as many pictures, I'm going to go nuts with stamping and copics, I bet, to fill up my spare time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great start, I don't color but would love to try :)

    ReplyDelete